10 Dec Agriculture Manager and Educator
Agriculture Manager and Educator
Salaried Position, $45-55K
About the farm:
ifarm LLC is a restored 19th century farmstead located 30 minutes north of Boston. Our mission is to create a more sustainable and nurturing community with the help of nature. Our farm has a half-acre, professionally designed permaculture garden that is home to over 200 species of organically certified herbs, fruits, nuts and vegetables. We also have a half-acre field of organically certified flowers and medicinal herbs as well as a hop yard of 120 mature crowns.
We are seeking an individual who is passionate about getting their hands in the soil and who can help make ifarm a nationally recognized permaculture education center. ifarm has powerful and unique resources at its disposal (extensive permaculture garden, state forest access, picturesque views, beautiful teaching spaces, proximity to Boston) to facilitate this process.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for managing ifarm’s gardens and fields and teaching permaculture-related workshops. They will have experience in managing both permaculture and no-till, row crop systems. They will understand that regenerative agriculture and revenue generation can go hand-in-hand.
This position is has time requirements that are subject to the needs of the farm. You may be required to stay late on summer weekdays or to come in on weekends for workshops. The winter is a time of year to pursue permaculture design projects for ifarm clients or manage data for organic certification.
The candidate should be accustomed to using organic, no-till agricultural methods and have experience in planning and leading programs in the application of permaculture. They will lead a team of 2-3 individuals in managing all aspects of planning, planting, cultivating, harvesting, processing, and storing products. The candidate MUST demonstrate good communication skills and ideally have experience in mentoring. The ability to work in a small team environment is crucial.
This position also involves a significant amount of public speaking. Candidate will be interested in leading educational workshops and have the ability to plan and organize a curriculum and present it in an efficient and effective way.
The IDEAL candidate will have the following qualifications:
- At least five years of experience in the production of organically grown herbs, flowers, fruit, nuts, and hops, including two years minimum in the role of a manager;
- experience in the application of good manufacturing principles (GMPs);
- A certificate in permaculture design with an emphasis in education from the Permaculture Institute of North America (PINA) and ;
- Experience in executing permaculture design assignments, with examples of completed projects. Ability to lead engaging workshops in permaculture processes, methods, and techniques;
- Extensive knowledge of medicinal herbs and herbalism (ability to identify herbs, process herbs, make medicine and educate others on the properties of herbs);
- Experience in using spreadsheets and word processing to record production data (labor allocation, crop successes or challenges, etc) and submit for organic certification as well as profit-net-loss analysis and good manufacturing practices;
- Ability to work consistently in all weather conditions (heat, rain, cold) and perform strenuous farm-related tasks, occasionally lifting 40 lbs. routinely;
- Reliable transportation with a clean driving record. CORI mandatory.
- Manage all aspects of the certified organic permaculture and no-till row gardens, including planning, greenhouse seed starting, planting, maintenance, harvesting, and herb processing and storage.
- Familiarity with equipment use and maintenance, fertility management/soil enhancement, organic practices.
- Calculate expected yields from acreage under cultivation.
- Collaborate with ifarm events manager to create engaging permaculture workshops and courses (including the possibility of a Permaculture Design Certification). Lead two-hour workshops. Workshop examples can be found here and here.
- Lead/mentor garden staff; collaborate with team members and management.
- Oversee data logging for organic certification and Good Manufacturing Practices.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salaried position in the range of $45-55K, commensurate with experience;
- Paid vacation and sick days according to ifarm’s personnel policy;
- Housing is not available on the farm;
In order to know if ifarm is a good fit, we can only consider candidates available for on-farm interviews.
To apply, send a cover letter AND your resume with three references to email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.